Rejuvenating Dr Fish Spa Therapy
Kenko Reflexology & Fish Spa has the pleasure to introduce a revitalize treatment in beauty and wellness – Dr Fish Spa Therapy. Dr Fish species have a unique dietary habit, where it would naturally peck away at the dead and diseased skin of bathers. It is also believed to be able to ease the symptoms of those suffering from skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
Let these little ‘masseurs’ nibble away your dead skin and pamper your feet to a pleasant sensation and relaxation of ‘micro-massage’, follow by a tingling sensation. Your feet will emerge with baby-smooth skin and make your pore unobstructed to promote blood circulation of the skin.
…Treat your tired feet with a refreshing 30 minutes therapy by dipping your feet into a pool of ‘Doctor Fish’ and let these little healing creatures clean your feet and nibble away your dead skin, leaving your skin glow in health…
Umm...seriously?! The fish “nibble away your dead skin”? People are purposely putting their feet into a pool of water…to be eaten by fish? Who are these crazy people? Why would anyone want to be chewed at by fish?
As Andy said at the time, it’s my worst nightmare come true – being chewed by small creatures. I’ve told you all about my fear of birds, but what I didn’t admit is that I pretty much dislike most small creatures (bugs, rodents, animals, amphibians…I don’t discriminate) because of my (irrational) fear of being bitten. Like birds, they all have it out for me. I was once made extremely uncomfortable by a squirrel that followed me halfway through Boston Common. I swear, he really was following me. I think he was after my cookies – The Chipyard makes the best cookies in Boston (Fanueil Hall).
But I digress. Like any normal person, we decided that we had to check it out. Is it legit? Do people actually pay money to be eaten by fish? The answer, apparently, is yes. There were several people visiting the spa when we arrived. All with their feet and calves in a “pool of water”. The pool of water was a fish tank. With hundreds of fish. People were just sitting there, with their feet in a fish tank. Now imagine hundreds of little fish, smaller than a goldfish, crowded around these people’s feet and legs. Instead of swimming around in the tank looking for food, they are sucking away at the “dead skin” on people’s feet. Crazy. Furthermore, it turns out that there are three sizes of fish to choose from – small, medium, and large. The small ones were probably about 1 inch long, the medium anywhere from 1-3 inches, and the large 3-5 inches. Again, who are these crazy people?!!!
Well, as it turns out, Andy is loco. He was so fascinated, that he decided he had to try it. Where else could you possibly say that you stuck your foot into a tank of water to be chewed by fish (aside from Turkey, where the idea and fish apparently came from)? I’m sure all of you are thinking, I can’t believe Andy would do that…he doesn’t seem like the type of person. Yes folks, this is my husband. So, the following day we killed time before our flight out of Penang at the mall so that Andy could get his feet chewed by fish. And being Andy, he couldn’t just start with the small fish and work his way up – he dove right in to the tank with the large fish…well, at least he tried…
After the initial shock wore off, he decided that it really wasn’t that bad. A bit like your foot being pumiced…except that instead of a pumice stone, it was the fish’s mouths. And then the unthinkable. Andy tried to convince ME to try it. ME, who is afraid of being bitten and chewed, voluntarily sticking my feet into the skin-eating fish tank?!! Is he crazy?
Apparently, I will do anything for a blog…because I did the unthinkable, confronted my fears, and stuck my feet into that little tank of fish. Yes, everyone was staring at me because I was borderline hysterical as I lowered my feet into the tank. My ears were tearing and I was gripping Andy’s hand so hard, that his thumb actually started to turn purple from lack of blood. I don’t think I let go for the first 10 minutes (thankfully no permanent damage to Andy’s hand was done).
But like Andy said, you get used to it after a while, and it becomes strangely pleasurable (except when you look down and stop to remember that there are actually fish nibbling off your feet and calves). I dared to try the large fish, but preferred the medium ones (they were just to scary). And I wasn’t much of a fan when they chewed at my calves. Those felt like little tiny pinches. But as for the foot, it was simply like using a pumice stone. A little ticklish in some parts, but otherwise felt like you foot was being lightly sanded. If you have an aversion to having your feet touched, or don’t like pedicures, then I wouldn’t recommend it. But otherwise, if you have the chance, I say do it, because it’s just plain weird and definitely worth the tale to tell. If you’re feeling really adventurous, they told us they offer full-body treatments (in private rooms to treat your more personal areas)...
kl.
I will never think of Thai Fish curry the same way again.
ReplyDelete